Major changes in life are, well, a fact of life. Sometimes we cope well with these changes, but at other times we can feel overwhelmed.
Life transitions for which counseling may be helpful include:
- Divorce, or the contemplation of divorce
- A change in or loss of a relationship
- Illness in yourself or a family member
- Death of a loved one, or other loss
- Career transition
- Job loss or financial change
- “Positive” stress, such as a move, new job, or birth of a child
When we’re struggling with a life transition, we may have to experience some upset feelings and negative emotions, such as fear, anxiety, sadness, or despair, before we regain our equilibrium and feel accepting of the change. It’s sometimes helpful to process these feelings with the help of a professional who is “outside the problem,” that is, not someone who is connected in any way with the day-to-day aspects of the problem or your life.
We would like to help you sort through those emotions, sort through your options, and find a way to make the change you are experiencing actually help you grow and come out better for it. Remember that despite what may seem to be overwhelming circumstances, there is always a way to
- Regain a sense of personal power
- Discover and act on options you may not have considered
- Manage stress more effectively
- Gain a new perspective on your problems and their role in your life
- Find strength and resilience you didn’t know you had
- Find support and enhance interpersonal connections even in the face of loss
- Regain hope and self-esteem
- Find a way back to your hopes and dreams
We look forward to working with you on the path to reclaiming your life.
Counseling is currently available online. Learn more here.
Later, when we can meet in person, we have offices in Park Ridge and in Willowbrook, and are likely not too far from you. Please call us at (630) 269-2886 or email us to make an appointment to talk about your life transition.